In 2019, I was set to embark on a three-month, 50-state road trip with my three under three and needed a triple stroller pronto! I had the City Select Baby Jogger set up as a double for my twins who were now 2 1/2 years old. I had registered for the glider board. But when I pulled out the getup at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, it became apparent that neither of my twins was going to stand on the glider board, and I needed another solution. I arrived in Indiana a couple of days later and shoved all the parts into my engineer brother’s garage and begged that he make it hold all three of them.
Thankfully, we came across the City Select Baby Jogger triple stroller hack and already had all of the components we needed to do something very similar. And seriously this stroller is hands down the best stroller I could have had for the girls! I am going to share how we hacked the stroller into a triple stroller in less than five minutes!
- It fits all three on the same frame that it also fits one baby (you just add seats as you grow), so it is very efficient on space and maneuvering. I could reach out and open a single door and push the stroller through without struggles, which anyone with multiples in a stroller knows is a huge accomplishment.
- The City Select is a high-quality stroller. I love the wheels on this stroller and had no trouble maneuvering over different terrain types (even on compact sand). The sun shades are also amazing on the stroller. We have had this stroller for four years now, and it is still top notch!
- The versatility of this stroller. I now have a stroller that can accommodate literally any combination of 1-3 kids. Now that the girls are almost 4, I still use the stroller daily as a single for Heidi. Adding to the configuration does not take away from it’s ability to still function as a single stroller or a double stroller or a triple stroller. It also works with a combination of car seats and regular seats. Just need make sure you have the parts and adjust accordingly.
- While not as simple as the one hand collapse of a single stroller, this stroller is still really easy to manage to get in and out of the car. The seats pop off with a click and the frame collapses in half.
- Because of where you are drilling into the frame of the stroller, you will lose the ability to adjust the handlebar height after doing so. I was fine with that as a trade off, but now that my 4-year old wants to push the stroller, it’s become more noticeable to me as a lost feature because I can’t lower the handlebar for her.
- I assume drilling into the frame of the stroller may void the warranty. I have no idea, because we bought from eBay and had already owned for three years, we did not bother looking into this.
- The seats have to face backwards to make the triple configuration work. We didn’t have an issue with this, but it is something to keep in mind.
- Your kids will have less space than they would in the double configuration, but even at three our kids have no issue with the space allotted to them.
Okay, now to the hack. It’s super simple. It took my brother less than five minutes to do.
What You Need
Here are the City Select Baby Jogger components you will need:
- The double stroller. You may already have either an existing single or double setup. If you already have a double, you can move on to the next component. If only have a single, you need to add two more seats (see below) instead of one.
- 1 additional seat (or two if you only have the single to start). The additional seat kit should come with the parts you need to convert from a single to a double, but just in case, I have linked the part separately because it is a necessary component.
- Car seat adapter if needed (make sure you get the right adapter for your car seat brand). I will note that I have tested it with twins plus one little in a car seat. I am not 100% that the car seat configuration would work with an older sibling and infant twins in a car seat, though it appears plausible. I do not think this would work for triplets in three car seats (would have to wait until they can sit in the regular seat).
Note: You can do the same hack with the City Select Baby Jogger LUX as well.
In addition to the stroller components you will need:
- A set of four 1″ long 3/8″ diameter screws with washers and nuts. Note: You can do this hack using the same screws from the brackets you are moving and not drill all the way through the frame. That is the most common version of the hack I have seen. But these screws are short and fit inside the frame, which of course was built to accommodate in a specific spot. We didn’t feel comfortable with them sitting inside a new hole without anything specifically designed to hold them in that hole (some hacks I have seen use a glue here to make it more secure), so our version of the hack has you drill through the frame completely, use new screws that are longer and stick out the other side a little, and adds a washer and nut there to hold it secure.
- A drill with bit
- Follow the provided directions to get your City Select Jogger set up into the Double Configuration with both of your seats facing backwards.
- You may have already noticed this but the stroller base already has two existing brackets for the top seat, one above where the handle comes into the base and one below. In a single seat configuration you place the seat on the lower bracket. In the double configuration, you would have been instructed to move it up to the upper bracket. For the triple configuration, you will need to move the single seat back down to the lower bracket (still backwards facing). Note: There may be some maneuvering of the footrest. I placed mine under the cross bar. This will free up the top bracket to be moved.
3. Unscrew the top brackets (one on each side) and move up as far as you can go along the metal frame (in the same manner it was mounted lower down) and mark the two holes on each side for drilling.
4. Make sure you have the handle at the height you want it before drilling. Use the screws you either took out of the brackets or purchases (should be the same diameter) to find an appropriate bit and drill the four holes.
5. Use the screws, washers, and nuts to mount the brackets at their new height.
6. Attach either the car seat attachment or additional seat to the newly mounted bracket (backwards facing) just like you would if it was lower down.
And that’s it. Now you have a super awesome and versatile triple stroller!
I will note that a few people saw my pictures on the road trip with the car seat attached and were concerned that it would be top heavy. I wanted to assure you it is not top heavy. It is super sturdy and stable even when the girls are not in it. We tried a different hack with a side-by-side stroller and hanging the car seat off the handle in the back, and it did topple over, so we had to abandon that idea immediately. The distribution of the seats on the City Select and it’s solidness made this a nonissue with this triple stroller hack.
This post contains affiliate links, which help support this blog and our family at no cost to you, so please consider shopping our links if these products interest you. Thank you!